A family in Buffalo Grove, Illinois recently experienced an asbestos nightmare. Their house was flooded, so they hired workers to remove and replace tile. However, beneath the top layer of tile was poisonous asbestos tile. They already knew about this, but it wasn’t a real threat since none of it was exposed or chipped (because of the tile on top). But when the workers came in to remove everything, they began it improperly and chipped the tiles, flicking fibers into the air, When the family realized this, they immediately stopped the job, and fled from their house.
The insurance has been covering food and housing expenses during the past few months that they’ve been fighting the company who did this. Several inspections have occurred, and so far their insurance only offered less than a third of the money to cover the cost. The Mastalics (the family) decided to start work on the required repairs and cleaning out of their own pockets, because they believe the insurance and asbestos company is only looking out for themselves, and not even thinking about the actual victims.
So far the asbestos company has decided to give further education to their workers of this vital mistake. Basically, what needs to happen in their house, is all the asbestos tile removed properly. But so far since it’s already been done the absolute wrong way, poisonous fibers and chipped tile are everywhere, making a disaster zone of the entire house. Even worse is that in order to be safe, they also have to clean out all the vents, and the upstairs since the fibers float through the air and travel through the vents. Also, all the walls, floors, ceilings and trim have to be thoroughly cleaned by professionals. The asbestos dust has settled everywhere, on every nick knack, and every piece of furniture. The estimated cost is already around 80,000, and they were only offered 20,000.
The process is dragging out, and it’s already been a few months. They literally had to completely leave everything and all their belongings that got contaminated in the house, and they haven’t seen them for months. Greg explains that they are really concerned for the safety of their family, and the fact is that asbestos has proven to cause fatal cancer. Several tests conflicted answers, one even saying that it was ready for occupancy! Soon proven wrong though, the real truth is that they just can’t live in their home anymore. Service master is the company that made this mess, and Farmers Insurance is their local insurance agency. Service master has been doing good about working with their insurance, and sincerely apologized about making such a bad mistake, and seem to be trying to make it right. But still, this family continues to fight their case and get their home back to a livable condition for themselves and their 3 little kids.
ADX Asbestos Removal, 125 S Clark St. Chicago IL 60603, 773-345-7074